Who built claregalway castle?

9
Vivienne Simonis asked a question: Who built claregalway castle?
Asked By: Vivienne Simonis
Date created: Thu, Apr 22, 2021 3:19 PM
Date updated: Thu, Jun 23, 2022 6:20 PM

Content

Top best answers to the question «Who built claregalway castle»

Claregalway Castle was a chief stronghold of the Clanricarde Burkes. Construction of Claregalway Castle began in the early 1400s and was probably competed in the 1440s.

8 other answers

Claregalway Castle, like so many others of its kind, was little used after 1700. The dwelling house, known locally as the ‘Castle Lodge’, was built by Captain Palmer and has had various owners over the past century.

Claregalway castle was the chief fortress of the powerful Clanricard de Burgo or Burke family from the early 1400s to the mid-1600s. The Clanricard Burkes were descended from William de Burgh, an English knight of Norman ancestry who led the colonial expansion into Connacht in the early 1200s.

Who Owned This Castle In Medieval Times? Claregalway Castle was one of four castles owned by the De Burgos, a Norman family who later anglicized their name to Burke. The branch of the family living here were descendants of Richard De Burgho of Connacht. Different members of the Burke family lived here throughout the ages.

The famous Claregalway Friary—the first Franciscan Friary in Connacht—was built in the early 13th century, establishing Claregalway as a religious hub for east Galway. The beautifully restored Claregalway Castle has withstood many battles over the centuries, helped by its strategic position on a curve in the River Clare .

Claregalway Castle. Claregalway Castle was believed to have been built in the 1440’s as a stronghold to the De Burgo (Burke) family. The castle was strategically placed on a low crossing point of the Clare River, allowing the De Burgo family to control the water and land trade routes.

Possession of the abbey was granted to Sir Richard de Burgo, who built the nearby Claregalway castle, in 1570. In 1589 the English Provincial Governor Sir Richard Bingham turned the Abbey into a Barracks. By c.1640 the Franciscans had reoccupied the Friary but their numbers declined until around the mid-19th century.

Claregalway friary was founded for the Franciscan order in the diocese of Annaghdown c. 1250 by John de Cogan, an Anglo-Norman knight. He had marched with the army of Maurice Fitzgerald (d.1257), lord of Offaly and Justiciar of Ireland, Richard de Burgh and Hugh de Lacy II (d.1242), earl of Ulster into Connacht in 1235.

Claregalway is an experience in itself! The host at the castle was very friendly and provided a private tour of the grounds. It is located centrally in town which makes the whole village walking distance. The rooms are spectacular if you are staying there and the venue hosts a.

Your Answer